||Above Rocks, in St. Catherine and in the Red Hills, is named because of its geographical location; it is claimed to be the westernmost extension of the Blue Mountain Range. Spectacular views of the Blue Mountains can be had from this summit. |
Angels in St. Catherine was the Los Angeles of the Spaniards and was known as a Spanish post. It is of later historical interest, also, in that the first line of the Jamaica Railway, which was opened to traffic on I St November, 1845, had as its terminus ‘Angels’, which it is claimed is 15 miles from Kingston and two and a half miles from Spanish Town.
Arcadias in northern St. Catherine and south-western St. Mary are also small villages. In east-central St. Thomas, Arcadia is a thriving village. Arcadia Pen in Trelawny is a part of the Vale Royal Estates. The date (from 1832) of ownership of this estate by the Sewell family is said to be chiseled on the keystone arch of the front door of the Great House.
Bannister Bay and Bannister, at Old Harbor in St. (Innc1 Rannister, Governor of Surinam, who in 1667 brought English and Jewish colonists from Surinam to settle in Jamaica. This was the result of an exchange made by England with the Dutch of territory in Surinam for New Amsterdam (now New York) and New Jersey under the Treaty of Breda, concluded on July 31, 1667.
Barrett Street, Spanish Town is named after Hercy Barrett, the first member of the Barrett family to settle in Jamaica. When land was granted him here it was stated ‘that it was for himself and his heirs, for the encouragement to continue in the island of Jamaica’. Bellas Gate is English in origin.
Benbow Street, Spanish Town was named after Admiral Lord Benbow, who was born at Shrewsbury in 1653 and distinguished himself in the war with France in 1697, t he year in which he was appointed commander-in-chief of the king’s ships in the West Indies, with special orders to suppress piracy, which he did. He returned to England in 1700. As war with France was imminent, Benbow was again posted to the West Indies, arriving at Port Royal in December, 1701. He engaged in battle against the French under Admiral DuCasse in 1702. An unexpected turn of events was that he was deserted by four of his captains, so that at one time ‘he engaged the entire French squadron single-handed’. Finally withdrawing from the fight because of his captains’ desertion, he received severe injury to his leg, but succeeded in recapturing a British galley before he had to return in his ship, ‘Breda’, to Port Royal. Benbow died of his wounds and was buried in the Kingston Parish Church.
|Why You Should Visit Sandals Jamaica - Watch This Video!|
Bog Walk was called Boca d’agua It is an omportant location used for processing farm produce. Manufacturing takes place with the sugar cane processing factory, a cows milk factory and a fruit citrus processing and packaging plant.
Bower’s Gully, at the western end of St. Catherine, was named after Captain Nathaniel Bowers of the English Army (Colonel Carter’s regiment), which appears to have garrisoned this locality. Bowery Road, Kingston, was named after a former Island Chemist (who died in 1893), through whose property the road was cut.
Bushy Park could have been named after a place near London, England. An early owner was a Mr. William Mitchell, Member of the Assembly for St. Catherine, 1790, and Receiver-General, 1809-10. There is now a Bushy Park Railway Station.
BBuxton Town was a “free village” established by the late Rev. A. Murcell Phihippo of the Spanish Town Baptist circuit of churches in the nineteenth century, and was given this name in honor of Thomas Fowell Buxton, leader of the Anti-Slavery Society in England.
Cabo Bonito is a former Spanish place-name which means ‘a pretty cape’.
Cayo De Los Hicacos is the Spanish name for part of the Palisadoes at Plumb Point, south of Kingston. Plumb Point Lighthouse stands there.
Clement Drive, in Independence City, near Spanish Town was named after the Jamaican politician, the late Hon. David Clement Tavares, at one time Minister of Communications and Works, who was involved in the construction of the housing scheme.
Colbeck Castle, north of Old Harbour is named after Colonel John Colbeck, who was a member of the invading English forces under General Penn and Admiral Venables in 1655. He continued to live in Jamaica as a private citizen after the conquest. He was a Member of the Assembly representing Bowers (the district in which Colbeck Castle Stands) and Speaker of the House of Assembly (1673). A beautifully carved memorial flagstone in the south transept floor of the Cathedral of St. James, Spanish Town, records that Colonel Colbeck was born May 30, 1630, and died on February 22, 1682.
Dinthill is in St. Catherine. Two agricultural training centres for boys have been established here. Doherty Drive, in Independence City is named after the first United States Ambassador to Jamaica, Mr. William C. Doherty. Ellis Street, Spanish Town was named after the first member (he served in the invading army of Penn and Venables) of the Ellis family who came to settle in Jamaica.
Ewarton is a village and railway station. This area has come into prominence since Alcan Jamaica Limited, between 1956 and 1957, established a plant there. By 1968, both Kirkvine and Ewarton Works had each expanded to a production capacity of 550,000 long tons of alumina.
Feather Bed Lane near Spanish Town, is said to have been named by someone with a sense of humour. In the early history of this lane it was so rough for motorcar traffic that it was claimed that “it was anything but a feather bed to travel on”. Ferry Inn is named after the Ferry River. In the 18th century this Inn became famous. Governors held parties there, and Admiral Lord Nelson (among other notables) made it a stop-off place of entertainment. The present owners of Ferry Inn have restored it to its former use, and rafting can now be done on the Ferry River.
Fuller’s Pen is named after Colonel Thomas Fuller of the Army of Occupation (1655), who was granted land there. Government Pen has been known from the 18th century. A drawing of the house which was used for the entertainment of governors in that time is found in Lady Nugent’s Journal.
Grateful Hill, in the parish of St. Catherine, got its name in the following manner: a plot of land here was given by the late George Kent Esq. of England to the Baptist denomination for the erection of a church; in thankfulness for the gift, they named it “Grateful Hill” and the village which grew up around it took that name.
Guanaboa Vale, in the parish of St. Catherine, is claimed to be of Arawak origin. Mr. Clinton Black in “Take My Word” (Gleaner, November 23, 1963) derives it from guanaba the soursop. But he assumes that “Gua” is regarded as a prefix pronounced “wa” or “ha”. The earliest English spelling, however, in the 1662 census, is “Quanboa” (district name).
Guys Hill, in the parish of St. Catherine, is named after Richard Guy, who it is thought served with Penn and Venables in the conquest of Jamaica in 1655, and who was granted land here. In the ancient Guanaboa Church is an inscription on the tombstone of the late Hon. John Hudson Guy, who died February 7, 1749, in his 52nd year. He served his country as a Member of the Assembly, was made an Assistant Judge of the Courts of Law, acting in that station for nine years, and was afterwards appointed Chief Judge.
Hare Wood derives its name from an ancestor of the Earl of Harewood, who owned a large tract of land here, and, in 1826, gave a part to the Anglican Church, which erected “The St. Saviour Church”. The present church was built in 1912.
Highgate Park, near Sligoville in St. Catherine, was originally owned by John Sullivan (1798-187 1) of a distinguished Irish family, who became Provost Marshal of Jamaica. He is said to have built High gate Church, in the churchyard of which he was buried.
Independence City came into existence since Jamaica became independent on August 6th, 1962, and was named after that event. Independence City is linked to Kingston by the Hunt’s Bay Causeway. Innswood Estate, in the parish of St. Catherine, is a large sugar estate owned by Innswood Estates Ltd.
Lawrence Field is named after Lawrence Prince, who led the advance guard of Sir Henry Morgan in his attack on Panama. Lawrence Field, in the early days, was a post of vantage midway on the road from Passage Fort to Spanish Town, and was the site of a Great House. Sir Henry Morgan is said to have died there on August 25, 1688. Linstead a thriving township, has been made famous by the folk song, “Linstead Market”.
Lloyds — this name is found in St. Catherine and St. Thomas. Lloyds in St. Catherine may have been owned by Major Richard Lloyd, who. commanded the army against the French at Carlisle Bay, and so was named after him.
Lluidas Vale, a town in St. Catherine, is thought to be derived from the Spanish Lucida, which means “gay, fine”, or from Iluvias, meaning “rains” Rose Garden was once the family seat of R.B. Panton.
Seville proved unhealthy, however, and was abandoned in 1534, and a new capital city constructed at Villa de la Vega (Spanish Town) in St. Catherine. Many beautifully carved stones from Seville are now to be seen at the Institute of Jamaica, East Street, Kingston. The Government of Jamaica has acquired 2,000 acres of Seville; the old Seville is to be recreated and the place made into a cultural resort. Shooters Hill, originally an English place-name, is found in the parishes of Manchester Hanover, and St. Andrew.
Sligoville is named after the Marquis of Sligo, Governor of Jamaica in 1834, the year that freedom came to the enslaved people of Jamaica. Sligoville was said to be the first ‘free village’ to be established, and this was done by Rev. James Phi1lipoEnglish Baptist minister stationed in Spanish Town, on land which was acquired in 1834. What became known as ‘The Free Village System’ resulted from this first settlement, and similar villages were established throughout the island, most of them by ministers of religion, who supplied land to the ex-slaves who had never owned land before.
Spanish Town is the capital of St. Catherien and was called as Santiago. Later is was also called St. Jago de la Vega. Spanish Town lnown as the 'old capital because it was the capital of the island Jamaica and Kingston replaced it as the new capital in 1872.
Twickenham Park off the Spanish Town Road, was first known as Twickenham Park Pen, the name “Twickenham” originating in Middlesex, England. It was owned in the 18th century by Madam Georgiana Ruessett, who died In March, 1879. She left Twickenham Pen to her trustee, Walter Seale Newman, in trust for the children of himself and his wife, Helen Rosetta Newman, nee Wilson. The Pen was to be sold and the money kept in trust “until the birthday of the eldest son Walter George Newman”, which was done. Walter George Newman was the father of Mrs. May Murray, who finally inherited it.
Twickenham Park is now owned by the government, and is the location of the Jamaica School of Agriculture and an industrial estate of the Jamaica Industrial Development Corporation.
White Marl, off the Spanish Town Road is an area of approximately six acres, presented to the Jamaica National Trust Commission by Mr. Constance B. Hamilton in 1960. The museum and associated buildings on the site were constructed by the Jamaica National Trust Commission and turned over to the Institute of Jamaica for operation of the archaeological and museum programme. It was opened to the public on the 30th of June, 1966.
Whydad, a village in St. Catherine, was named after a similar place in Dahomey, West Africa. Winchester in St. Catherine Was owned from 1830 by John Augustus Sullivan, Provost Marshal of Jamaica. Bluefields was the site of the early Spanish town of Oristan, said to have been established as early as 1 519, and the fort there still retains the name. This Jamaican place-name, Bluefields, is also found in Nicaragua.
Diablo Monte (Devil’s Mountain) was the Spanish place-name for a mountain in St. Catherine. The mountain is now known as Mount Diablo. Hellshire Hills is a place-name found in St. Catherine. This place-name is seen on Slaney’s map dated 1678 as “Hellshire Hummock”, yet in subsequent maps it is spelt “Healthshire”. However, it has no’ reverted to the spelling “Helishire”.
Jericho, a thriving country town in St. Catherine, has a biblical place-name. Middlesex in St. Catherine is near Guys Hill.
Troja is a village and railway station in St. Catherine. This name may be derived from “Trojan”. Worthy Park — this sugar estate near Ewarton has been known by the name of Worthy Park from the time that the application for a patent by Lieutenant Francis Price was received in 1670. He is said to have come to Jamaica in the Army of Occupation in 1655. He married the widow of Lieutenant Colonel Rose and they had a son, Charles, who became the first baronet, and whose son, the Hon. George Price, became the second.
The Price family owned Worthy Park for approximately 170 years, after which it was purchased by the Talbots, later the Earl of Shrewsbury. In 1 899 John Vassel Calder purchased Worthy Park, and it was from Calder that the father of the present owner, G.F. Clarke, purchased it in 1918. The Clarke family have owned Worthy Park for 57 years. It is now known as Worthy Park (Farms) Ltd., and Mr. G.F. Clarke is chairman and managing director, Mr. J.G.L. Clarke, member of the board of directors, and Mr. O.M. Clarke, managing director.
Fort Augusta (between Port Henderson and Passagefort) was once a military station where all ammunition and combustible material were deposited by vessels proceeding to Kingston. The Fort was planned by Admiral Knowles, afterwards Governor of Jamaica. Since those early days, it has been converted into a prison.