|Home Kingston St. Andrew St. Catherine Clarendon Manchester St. Elizabeth Westmoreland|
|Hanover St. James Trelawny St. Ann St. Mary Portland St. Thomas|
Brownsville, near Negril, Hanover, was at first the name of a Presbyterian church erected in memory of William Brown, son of Dr. John Brown of Haddington, Scotland, who was Secretary of the London Missionary Society in the 19th century. The village which grew around the church took the name of Brownsville.
Copse, a large estate in Hanover, is said to have been owned first by Cohn and Alexander Campbell. Recently acquired by government, a section of it is being used for a land settlement scheme, while on another section a home has been established for abandoned children, who are cared for and taught useful trades.
Cousin’s Cove, in Hanover, is listed on early maps as “Samuel’s Bay”. Dias is also a village in Hanover.
Dolphin Head is in Hanover. It is so named because it resembles a dolphin, with blunt nose, face and even body fins when viewed from east to west. It is a spectacular mountain rising to 1,789 feet behind the town of Lucea. Fat Hog Quarter, in Hanover, is said to be so named because of the large quantity of hogs reared there in the 18th century, when hog’s lard was exported from Jamaica to Carthagena. An 18th century owner was Philip Haughton, one of the family of Haughtons after whom Flaughton Hall, also in this parish, is named, of which this Property was a part. Nine members of the Haughton family are buried at Fat Hog Quarter.
Fort Charlotte, in Lucea, capital of Hanover, is named after the queen of George III. It was first known as Fort Lucea.
|Why You Should Visit Sandals Jamaica - Watch This Video!|
Haughton Court, in the parish of Hanover is close to Lucea, it was once called Unity Estate, was named after Jonathan and Valentine Haughton both from Barbados. Jonathan passed away in 1767 and left it to his son Richard Haughton, then the Colonel of the British Militia and esteemed Custos of the parish of Hanover. He passed away in 1740 and then the Jamaican government purchased the property for the Jamaica Agricultural Society (JAS).
Haughton Court Gardens is a part of Haughton Court Estate. The government set up a boys training centre there (1971) and plots of land of five and ten acres are being sold to private individuals for erection of homes. Kenilworth Estate, in Hanover, was first known as Maggoty, and was owned by Thomas Blagrove, 1733-1755; he was a member of the family who owned Cardiff Hall in St. Catherine.
Kenilworth was acquired by the previous (Jamaica Labour Party) government for a land settlement, which was set up in a different manner from formerly, in that several villages were created. The old estate buildings are now recognised as National Monuments.
Lapland, in St. James, originated in Norway. This property was owned in the 18th century by Jacob Graham of Cumberland, England, who resided in Jamaica for 70 years. He died on June 27, 1816, at 90.
Lethe is in Hanover. In Greek mythology, Lethe is the river of oblivion. Lethe in Jamaica may be so named because it is near a stream which joins the Great River, dividing Hanover and St. James; the surroundings are idyllic. Lethe, in the 18th century, was a sugar estate, and was owned by John Lawrence, one of the early English settlers who was granted large plots of land in western parishes. After Lawrence’s death, a Dr. Davidson inherited Lethe, who, in turn, bequeathed it to his daughter, Mrs. Henry Heaven. The Great River has a magnificent bridge across it, built by slave labour. It is the only one of its kind in Jamaica. Lethe has been sold in lots and is now a village. There is also a Long Bay in Hanover, where it is claimed naval exploits took place.
Lucea, capital of Hanover, was the Puerto de Sub of the Spaniards. The name has been variously rendered “Lucia”, “St. Lucy”, and “Sant Lucea”. Places of interest include the old parish church, to which no date is attached, however. Lucea has monuments to early English and other settlers, such as Philip Haughton and Simon Haughton, who owned Haughton Court, which formerly extended to the site of the town of Lucea, and several other estates in this parish. Fort Charlotte, named after George III’s queen, guards the harbour, which is a beautiful blue basin of water one mile in diameter.
Rusea Secondary School in Lucea was endowed by the French refugee, Martin Rusea, in grateful recognition of the hospitality extended to him during his settlement here. Lucea has a public square with courthouse and Parish Council offices, and a fire station behind the courthouse. On the hill overlooking the town is the Baptist church, the cause here started by the Rev. Aslop of the General Baptist Mission in 1827, and handed over to the Baptist Missionary Society in 1829. Maryland is found in Hanover and in the St. Andrew hills.
Tryall, in Hanover, formerly 2,000 acres of sugar cane and coconuts, is now the site of Tryall Hotel. An interesting landmark there is the sugar mill, over 170 years old, whose waterwheel is still turned slowly by a small stream.
Watson Taylor Park, on the outskirt of the town of Lucea in Hanover, is named after Watson Taylor, former Mayor of this parish, who gave the land for the park. His photograph is to be seen in the pavilion. A “Drive” in this town has also been named after him.
Windsor Castle in St. James was owned by James Mertin, and afterwards by Lieutenant William Tharpe of the St. James Militia, who died there in 1809. Boyce’s Gut, on the road leading from Cornwall to little River Estate in St. James, is named after an early English settler, Edward Boyce. Dan Vers, a seaport village in Hanover, was a property first owned by James Danvers and named after him. Johnston Town, on the outskirts of Lucea, Hanover, is a small fishing village.
|Copyright 2001-2010 Worldwide Realtors Company Limited|